Claudia is a girl in her 20s.
She has had little parental guidance.
She has developed an unhealthy relationship with horror movies.
Genuinely believes they are real.
Agrophobic- stays inside.
She models herself on a variety of girls from horror films.
Her neighbours give her essential things that she needs.
Danger is always lurking.
She seems normal and has a cheerful disposition.
Quentin is her imaginary boyfriend.
His appearance changes depending on what mood she is in. i.e Beckham, coach potato chav, literally anything she imagines.
He doesn't live with Claudia, he visits her sometimes. Or calls.
He is really into horror movies too.
Claudia thinks he is cheating her.
She retrains him so he can't cheat.
Having studied gothic horro during English Literature A Level so many ideas sprung to mind when given the initial brief.
My first inspiration was Disturbia- by Rihanna because it's the idea that she has been possessed.
I then decided to go home and watch, dare I say it, Evil Dead. Now I hate horror films because they scare the living daylights out of me but I thought it was all in the name of my course. So after several reviews on how scary it was I watched it. I was expecting so much more! But having spent the whole term learning about special effects and gore I could see how most things were done so I thought RIGHT bring on more horror films. So I proceeded to watch Sinister, The Conjouring and some of Insidious 2. And although they weren't horror I began to have a better perspective of evil spirits and being possessed.
I also researched into schizophrenia because I wanted my Claudia to have no idea she was doing such evil things when she was back in her original state- So I look into The Shining because main character gets taken over by the house and has no idea what he is doing, knowing that he hurting his family.
Which is when I created a new storyline for my Claudia...
She believes that she has a split personality. One side of her is evil and is taken over by a demon who tortures Quentin.
The other side of her is the classic protagonist of the story.
The inspiration was initially taken from Evil Dead. The idea that the girl has been possessed by a demon.
There is an amazing scene in Evil Dead where the demon has reached the girl and she has been consumed by it and she rises from the water and it's pouring with rain and she is drenched.
I saw amazing imagery from this and thought the moment I was capturing these images of Claudia would be just after Quentin has tried to escape Claudia and has run out into the rain and she is so angry but calm that she has had to leave her house in order to bring him back. So she too will be soaking wet.
I wanted to add a twist to my horror story in that part of Claudia's normal state she writes her own horror stories and then when she goes into her other personality she plays out these horror stories because she thinks they are real.
I then thought of a way I could represent this so I watched the film Inkheart in which the characters are pulled from a book but those specific characters have writing on them of the stories in which they were pulled from.


No comments:
Post a Comment